Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: popon, corfu-popup, flymake-popon

From: João Pedro
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: popon, corfu-popup, flymake-popon
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 15:26:54 -0300

Hello Akib, just chiming in with some opinions as a user.

On Fri, May 20 2022 00:00, Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> wrote:

> It is named corfu-popup because it's older than Popon.  Actually Popon
> was extracted from corfu-popup to allow other packages to use it, as
> different popup implementation don't work together (and trying do so
> will break both, and the buffer contents will probably be at risk too).
> There is already a package named popup.el, so I named my package Popon,
> but I didn't change the name of corfu-popup.  I wrote flymake-popon
> later, so I included "popon" in the name.  I think this shouldn't be a
> problem for submission, but if it is a problem, I have no problem
> changing the name.

I don't think it would be a problem for submission, Philip was just
wondering why the name was different, mostly because, as you noted
yourself, it can be misleading, leading users to think it would be a
package to make Corfu use popup.el.

> But, now it seems to me that name is misleading, because child frame and
> Popon both are some type of popup.  So I have changed the name to
> corfu-terminal (which Corfu author suggested me) to make it's purpose
> clear.

Now I must wonder -- and keep in mind that it is not a problem per-se at
all -- why you didn't rename it to corfu-popon, keeping it aligned with
the other packages...

Overall, great contributions to this package ecosystem, and I hope to
see it in ELPA in the near future!

Best regards,

--
João Pedro de Amorim Paula
IT undergraduate at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN)