Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: popon, corfu-popup, flymake-popon

From: João Pedro
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: popon, corfu-popup, flymake-popon
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 01:37:29 -0300

On Fri, May 20 2022 01:45, Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> wrote:

> Well, many may not understand what does popon in the name mean, and this
> name change is just to reflect the main purpose of the package, allowing
> to use Corfu in terminal, in its name.  corfu-terminal is mainly for
> terminal, as there is already a better solution for graphical interface.

Ohh, I get it! Welp, keeping corfu-terminal or going for corfu-popon now
is a matter of what you'd like to advertise more, the fact that it uses
popon.el, or the fact that it enables Corfu to be used on the terminal.
By your answer I can already suppose that the latter is more important
to you, in which case it makes total sense keeping corfu-terminal.

> But the other two packages are for both GUI and terminal.  And
> flymake-popon uses but posframe on GUI by default, as child frames are
> nicer and more stable.  I probably ought to name it flymake-posframe as
> posframe is the default, but when I started it it used Popon to show the
> popup, and the Popon interface is still the priority.

Aha! You would've beaten me to it! I have a version of flymake-posframe
in my Emacs configuration, which I copied and modified from a repo of
the same name (which isn't on any package archives, FYI) [1]. I could
send you my version of flymake-posframe and I could try yours out to see
which one works best, and maybe we could merge our implementations and
publish it! How about it? I attached my version in this email.

> Please don't hestitate to tell if you have any suggestions about the
> names or any other thing, I'm willing to hear from the community.

That's great! Thank you for your time on both answering my questions and
developing these packages.

Best,

--
João Pedro de Amorim Paula
IT undergraduate at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN)