Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw

From: Daniel Semyonov
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 18:55:54 +0300

    > - You add vcomplete-embark.el, that seems to be a package in it's
    > own right (with a dependency on embark), but with your patch this
    > will just be bundled into the same package.  Is this intentional?

Semi-intentional... now that you mention it, is it possible for two
(related) packages to share the same git repository? If so,
vcomplete-embark should be its own package.

In any case, I haven't tested this integration in a while, so I think it
would make more sense to completely exclude 'vcomplete-embark.el' for
now (this integration broke in the past due to changes to Embark and
Vcomplete, and might be broken in some way now as I don't currently use
Embark).  I'll do some testing in the next few days.

    > - A practice I have taken up for my own packages on SourceHut is
    > to add the mailing list as the maintainer.  I'm not saying you
    > should do the same, just that it might make sense to mention it
    > somewhere.

That's actually a very nice idea, thanks.

    > - The -pkg.el file should be unnecessary, as ELPA generates its
    > own.

Since both packages are complex (as in, they contain multiple files),
when I generate my own package tar (for distribution on my site for
example, as the packages weren't available on any archive before), it
needs to contain a <package>-pkg.el file for Emacs to install it (or at
least that's what I remember from testing I did long ago).
I will admit this file should just be generated automatically during the
build process in this case too, I just never got around to implementing
that.

    > - Could the vector key syntax ([?\C-a]) be replaced with a (kbd
    > "C-a")?  I think the general trend nowadays is towards the latter,
    > and more people are familiar with it.

Now that you mention it, since it's just an example, wouldn't it make
more sense to use 'keymap-set' for it? (Although technically both
packages could be used with an Emacs version that doesn't support
'keymap-set').

    > - You should probably format the reference to the manual in your
    > commentary section as described in the Info node (elisp)
    > Documentation Tips.

Fixed, thanks.

    > Have you made up your mind about the name, or could you be
    > convinced to change it to something like "window-switch" or
    > "windswitch" (so that it sounds similar to windmove)?  Just
    > suggestions of course, I just anticipate a discussion on this
    > question, because the name itself is not that expressive.

I wouldn't mind changing the name (I agree it's not very good), however
I would have to change this name in quite a few places.
OTOH, with 'list-packages' showing a brief description of each package,
I'm not sure if I see a big benefit to changing the name.  I'll have to
think about it.

    >> Both packages include Texinfo manuals (from which the manuals on
    >> their homepages is generated).  Please let me know beforehand if
    >> there is intention to add either package to NonGNU ELPA, so I
    >> could update their manuals and add '.elpaignore' files to their
    >> repositories.

    > I don't see why not.

Those changes have now been made for both packages.

    >> PS: I initially intended to submit these packages to GNU ELPA,
    >> but unfortunately I probably won't be able to assign copyright
    >> any time soon. (I'm assuming it would be possible to move them to
    >> GNU ELPA in the future?)

    > It should be possible.

Great!

BTW, when the packages are first imported, would the latest commit be
used, or should I bump the version (after I make all relevant changes)?