Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 12:29:06 -0400

> Semi-intentional... now that you mention it, is it possible for two
> (related) packages to share the same git repository?

Kind of, when really necessary, but with various caveats.
I think you'd be better off with a single package that just happens to
collaborate with Embark when Embark is used (i.e. without an explicit
dependency on Embark, which also means it should not require Embark to
compile vcomplete-embark), or else to move it to a separate repository.

> Since both packages are complex (as in, they contain multiple files),
> when I generate my own package tar (for distribution on my site for
> example, as the packages weren't available on any archive before), it
> needs to contain a <package>-pkg.el file for Emacs to install it (or at
> least that's what I remember from testing I did long ago).

Yes, but that doesn't mean it should be in the Git.

> I will admit this file should just be generated automatically during the
> build process in this case too, I just never got around to implementing
> that.

You don't need to.  The elpa.gnu.org scripts do that for you (and they
even sometimes trip over themselves when there's a competing
<foo>-pkg.el in the Git).

> BTW, when the packages are first imported, would the latest commit be
> used,

No: we ask Git when's the last commit that touched `Version:`.

        Stefan