Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw

From: Daniel Semyonov
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: Vcomplete, swsw
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 14:45:07 +0300

    >> Semi-intentional... now that you mention it, is it possible for
    >> two (related) packages to share the same git repository?

    > Kind of, when really necessary, but with various caveats.  I think
    > you'd be better off with a single package that just happens to
    > collaborate with Embark when Embark is used (i.e. without an
    > explicit dependency on Embark, which also means it should not
    > require Embark to compile vcomplete-embark), or else to move it to
    > a separate repository.

I have decided to remove this file completely as it broke at some point
due to an update to Embark (in a non-trivial way it seems), and I'm no
longer an Embark user so it will be hard to keep up with breakage in the
future, too.

    >> I will admit this file should just be generated automatically
    >> during the build process in this case too, I just never got
    >> around to implementing that.

    > You don't need to.  The elpa.gnu.org scripts do that for you (and
    > they even sometimes trip over themselves when there's a competing
    > <foo>-pkg.el in the Git).

I do need to do this if I want to create a package archive automatically
outside of an ELPA.  For example, both of my packages contain a
.build.yml file in their repository, which causes the SourceHut build
system (at builds.sr.ht) to create a package archive for every commit
(see https://builds.sr.ht/~dsemy/vcomplete).
In any case, I implemented a simple generator using sed and removed the
<package>-pkg.el files from both repositories.

Regards,
Daniel