From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Loading early-init.el in batch mode (was: package-update-all from command line)
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 12:00:40 -0400

>> I have wished for there to be a init file that's loaded in
>> batch sessions.  Sometimes I feel like `early-init.el` could
>> be this file; i.e. load it when in `--batch` as well.
> I don't think that's a good idea,

I'm not completely sold on the idea either.  More specifically, I wish
we'd done it back when we introduced that file, but doing it now risks
introducing regressions.

> given that we don't limit users in what should go into that file.

We don't give guidelines, but by virtue of it being loaded before the
GUI is setup, it does have similar technical limitations to the ones
that apply for batch uses.

> If you want a special init file for batch sessions, we should
> introduce a special file and document it as reserved only for settings
> that are supposed to work in -batch sessions.

We could, indeed.  I can't think of any reason why we wouldn't want to
load that same file in interactive sessions, tho (IOW, I can't think of
too many user settings which would  be useful for batch use and
undesirable for interactive use).

If we add such a file, we should be careful to allow something like
`--batch -q` to prevent loading that file.

        Stefan