Re: package-update-all from command line

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: package-update-all from command line
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 11:14:19 -0400

> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@veb.hzbagerny.pn> [2022-05-24 15:55:41 -0400]:
>
> Ah, that might be it.  Indeed the quickstart file contains:
>
>           `(setq package-activated-list
>                  (append ',(mapcar #'package-desc-name
> package--quickstart-pkgs)
>                          package-activated-list))
>
> :-(
>
>> One is not supposed to do that, of course...
>
> If it happens accidentally, please report it as a bug.

WDYM "accidentally"?
At any rate, I think replacing `append' with `cl-union' (or equivalent)
in the code above would be a good idea.

>>> `package-archives` is a completely different problem because it's
>>> a defcustom which may be set to a different value in the user's config
>>> in all kinds of different ways, and which may be eval'd either before or
>>> after loading the quickstart file, so it *would* mess up the user's
>>> config in various circumstances.
>> so save a new non-user variable like `package-current-archives' instead,
>> so that I can set `package-archives' from it on the command line.
>
> Setting `package-archives` from `package-current-archives` doesn't seem
> much easier than the ad-hoc addition of "melpa" you're currently using,
> so it doesn't seem like a great improvement.

It helps me maintain my additions to `package-archives' in _one_ place
(.emacs) instead of 2 places (.emacs + the command line).

>>> Maybe a more general way to attack this problem would be to try and
>>> create a "quickinit.el" file which is a bit like a "dump" of the user's
>>> config, so it can be used instead of loading `init.el`?
>> here we already have package-quickstart.el which can be re-used.
>
> AFAIK the problem is not how to name the file but what to put into it.

I am not talking about naming, but rather reusing an existing file for a
related purpose.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com