Re: package-update-all from command line

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: package-update-all from command line
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 06:58:48 +0200

>> I would like to be able to update packages from the command line, and
>> thanks to Lars, I now can do
>>
>> emacs -batch -funcall package-initialize -load ~/.emacs.elc -funcall
>> package-update-all
>>
>> Alas, this has two problems:
>>
>> 1. It prints "No packages to update" even though M-x list-packages
>> RET reports "Packages that can be upgraded: 3; type ā€˜Uā€™ to mark for
>> upgrading".
>
> I've now tweaked package-update-all prompting, but I'm not able to
> reproduce the problem otherwise.
>
> emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -f package-update-all
>
> updated a bunch of packages for me.

When seeing that command being introduced, I've also made my own version

  (defun th/package-update-all ()
    (interactive)
    (package-refresh-contents)
    (package-update-all (called-interactively-p)))

because package-update-all doesn't seem to update the package database.
I can't see the "Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org" message and the same for
the other archives.

Bye,
Tassilo