Re: package-update-all from command line

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: package-update-all from command line
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 12:13:30 -0400

>> Ah, that might be it.  Indeed the quickstart file contains:
>>
>>           `(setq package-activated-list
>>                  (append ',(mapcar #'package-desc-name
>> package--quickstart-pkgs)
>>                          package-activated-list))
>>
>> :-(
>>
>>> One is not supposed to do that, of course...
>> If it happens accidentally, please report it as a bug.
> WDYM "accidentally"?

Hmm... I now see that calling `package-activate-all` twice is all it
takes (I had the impression that I had put a test in there to do
nothing if the packages were already activated).

> At any rate, I think replacing `append' with `cl-union' (or equivalent)
> in the code above would be a good idea.

Indeed a `delete-dups` would be in order.

>> Setting `package-archives` from `package-current-archives` doesn't seem
>> much easier than the ad-hoc addition of "melpa" you're currently using,
>> so it doesn't seem like a great improvement.
> It helps me maintain my additions to `package-archives' in _one_ place
> (.emacs) instead of 2 places (.emacs + the command line).

There are many other ways you can get that same result, tho (fixing
your .emacs so that you can use `-l .emacs` from that command line is
probably the easiest and the most immediately useful).

        Stefan