Re: package-update-all from command line

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: package-update-all from command line
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 12:21:16 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> Yes, perhaps -update-all should also call -refresh-contents?
>
> IMHO, yes.

I've now done this.

> The same question applies to `package-update' but there it
> would be annoying if it always refreshed first when updating one package
> after the other.  So maybe the refreshes should be restricted to "there
> hasn't been a refresh in the last <N> <TIMEUNIT>".

Yes, perhaps that'd be nice?  But I'd expect somebody who'd use that
function would already know that the package in question has an update,
so a refresh might not be vital there.

Or...  Hm.  No, I think you're right.  Perhaps it should only do these
refreshes when called interactively, though?

> However, your "emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs ..." recipe doesn't work with
> every init file, at least it didn't work with mine.  I use
> `user-init-file' in my ~/.emacs.d/init.el which is nil if emacs is
> started with -batch, and it seems that packages are not initialized so
> emacs complained about void-function use-package.  I've catered for it
> in my init file now but I guess -batch -l <init-file> cannot be
> recommended as a general practice for this purpose.

It's a bit of a chicken/egg problem, perhaps?