Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 17:25:39 +0200

[...]

> Not mainly because it would be costly to re-sort
> the list each time an existing bookmark is updated.
> But in particular because `bookmark-alist' is used
> in more ways than just display/access in `*Bookmark
> List*'.

That, I was not aware of. So then sorting `bookmark-alist' (differently)
might not be an option.

> IMO this is the wrong solution for the request you
> made, which was to be able to make more recently
> changed bookmarks more apparent.

FWIW, it works as I intended: each I set a bookmark (a new one or an
existing one with the same default name) it ends up at the top of
*Bookmark List* with `bookmark-sort-flag' set to nil.

I'm not against adding a "time" field (as you proposed in your other
mail) but, as it is, bookmark.el just have the `bookmark-sort-flag'
toggle for which t is «sort by name» and nil is «use the default
`bookmark-alist' order».

So I'd have to piggyback on `bookmark-sort-flag' to have the order I
want by default. (… hum, why not after all … `bookmark-sort-flag' could
be t, nil or 'time without disturbing current default or users'
setting).
--
Manuel Giraud