RE: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 14:01:29 +0000

> > But sorting all bookmarks by last-modified time?
> > How is that useful?  (Again, just curious; not
> > claiming it's not useful.)
>
> My use case would be, when calling 'bookmark-bmenu-list', to have the
> last modified bookmarks at the top of the list. Why? Because then it
> looks like the stack of books you have next to your bed: at the top is
> the one you are most likely currently reading so you just pick it
> up. But you are right that for the rest of the stack that might be less
> useful.

Thanks very much for making this clear.

I think this use case is handled well by a
last-accessed (aka visited) field.  The one used
by Bookmark+ is called `time'.  It could have
been called `accessed' or `used', but I think the
"time" of a bookmark is pretty clearly the last
time it was used/visited/accessed, and a name like
`accessed' or `used' could suggest the number of
times it was accessed/used, rather than the time.
(Bookmark+ uses field `visits' for that info.)

> > What I do know is useful, however, is the time
> > (date) of last visit/access (as well as time of
> > creation, of course).  That's related to the
> > number of times a bookmark has been visited
> > (accessed).
> >
> > Sorting by visit time is like seeing a recentf
> > list.  Sorting by number of visits is like
> > seeing your favorites list.  I often want to
> > sort these ways.
>
> Yes maybe that is what I want.

Great.  Then if vanilla Emacs adds field `time',
and assuming it uses it in the same or a similar
or compatible way as Bookmark+, I'll have nothing
to be concerned about, I expect.