Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 09:57:40 -0400

> Daniel Martín [2022-05-24 22:00:12] wrote:
>> I don't object delegating to osascript as a subprocess, but there are
>> probably lots of packages and user customizations already calling
>> ns-do-applescript.  We should deprecate the API before removing it, and
>> the deprecation message should tell people how they can call osascript
>> in an equivalent way.
>
> Can we re-implement `ns-do-applescript` as an ELisp function that runs
> `osascript`?

I do use it for simple interaction with the Finder and Safari such as:

    (do-applescript "tell application \"Safari\" to get the name of window 1")
    (do-applescript "tell application \"Safari\" to get the URL of document 1")

Part of the value of do-applescript is that it returns the
output as a string.  Quickly playing with call-process and
osascript isn't quite as trivial but I'm sure is doable.

--

Howard