Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 17:21:07 -0400

  > > Basically, what are the differences that make it better to use
  > > osascript than applescript?

  > I think that binary _is_ Apple's proprietary AppleScript interpreter,

If that is so, what is the significant difference between invoking
osascript and invoking applescript?  Those of us who don't use MacOS
know nothing about this.

  > but using it in a subprocess to retrieve only contacts data (which is
  > already possible on free systems) must be more acceptable than Emacs
  > including a C primitive to do the same thing.

Not necessarily -- it depends on facts that haven't been stated here.
Maybe a C primitive is better, but that depends on what exactly
the C primitive can do.

Since retrieving contact data in Emacs is supported on free systems,
adding code to do the same job on MacOS is ok in principle.  An
implementation which implements only that particular feature poses no
special problem.  Implementing something more general than that might
pose a problem.