ns-do-applescript

From: Jon Snader
Subject: ns-do-applescript
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 17:21:08 -0400

I don't understand the urgent—or, indeed, any—need to eliminate this call. I've been using it for years to populate an Emacs buffer with the URL of the current page displayed in Safari. I used to use osascript as recommended by those advocating ns-do-applescript's removal but moved to ns-do-applescript when osascript became unacceptably slow. That issue may have been resolved but I've never felt the need to revisit the matter.

According the the 2020 Emacs survey, Mac users represent 26.6% of Emacs users (https://emacssurvey.org/2020/) so it's hardly a niche environment for Emacs. As macOS is the second largest user base, I don't see how it hurts to make Mac users' life marginally easier.