Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 10:28:20 +0800

Jon Snader <jcs@irreal.org> writes:

> I don't understand the urgent—or, indeed, any—need to eliminate this
> call. I've been using it for years to populate an Emacs buffer with
> the URL of the current page displayed in Safari. I used to use
> osascript as recommended by those advocating ns-do-applescript's
> removal but moved to ns-do-applescript when osascript became
> unacceptably slow. That issue may have been resolved but I've never
> felt the need to revisit the matter.
>
> According the the 2020 Emacs survey, Mac users represent 26.6% of
> Emacs users (https://emacssurvey.org/2020/) so it's hardly a niche
> environment for Emacs. As macOS is the second largest user base, I
> don't see how it hurts to make Mac users' life marginally easier.

macOS is a proprietary operating system.  We don't try to make its users
lives easier, we try to encourage them switch to GNU/Linux.  Supporting
a feature that is only available there would just encourage users to use
it.

Not to mention that the AppleScript support has several bugs, including
bug#39890, that I cannot fix or easily test, since AppleScript is not
available in GNUstep.