Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:50:10 +0800

Jon Snader <jcs@irreal.org> writes:

>> Why do you think ns-do-applescript and osascript are just about
>> getting contact data? Applescript is a terrible language but it can
>> interact with macOS to do just about anything you can do from the
>> keyboard. As I said in my original post, I use it to get the URL of
>> Safari's current page without having to leave Emacs.

So how can I do that on a free system?  How do I obtain the URL of
Epiphany's current page without having to leave Emacs?

>> The ns-do-applescript call is (or could be considered) simply a call
>> to an OS specific interface routine. It's useful for many things
>> besides getting contacts and its presence in *in the macOS Emacs
>> build* hurts no one, whereas its removal is sure to cause lots of
>> inconvenience for Mac users and those writing packages for the
>> platform.

We don't want to make things convenient for Mac users, when those things
are not possible on a free system.  Just as Emacs doesn't provide
"OS-specific interface routines" to perform tasks on non-free operating
systems that are not possible on free ones.