RE: Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: RE: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 08:34:01 +0200

Message: 15
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:50:10 +0800
From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> To: Jon Snader <jcs@irreal.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript

> Jon Snader <jcs@irreal.org> writes:
>>> The ns-do-applescript call is (or could be considered) simply a call
>>> to an OS specific interface routine. It's useful for many things
>>> besides getting contacts and its presence in *in the macOS Emacs
>>> build* hurts no one, whereas its removal is sure to cause lots of
>>> inconvenience for Mac users and those writing packages for the
>>> platform.

> We don't want to make things convenient for Mac users, when those things
> are not possible on a free system.  Just as Emacs doesn't provide
> "OS-specific interface routines" to perform tasks on non-free operating
> systems that are not possible on free ones.

<flagelante>
Yes, I repent, I confess... I use Emacs on a macOS...
</flagelante>
as I write shell scripts (bash/zsh), gawk, Inkscape, GIMP, LaTEX, etc. Exactly the same way I do this on my Linux system(s) and on the VMs I create and share.

And while I'm using DBus in Linux for forward/backward searching between *TeX and PDF, I do use ns-do-applescript for some of that magic on macOS. Same goes for bringing the Emacs window to the top of the desktop and for other functions.

I think all the traffic started because someone asked whether a pure elisp alternative to ns-do-applescript could be found and call-process to osascript was proposed. Humbly yours showed how to do such a thing (at least on my very rudimentary use of osascript).

So, yes, you can write it in ELisp, but I can't tell you whether it makes sense to scare people away from Emacs by not providing functionality (IMvvHO that would be a pity). The argument "now you see what you could be doing in Linux" has already given some fruits in my experience.

Best, /PA
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet