Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 19:47:28 -0400

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

We don't want to make things convenient for Mac users, when those things are not possible on a free system. Just as Emacs doesn't provide "OS-specific interface routines" to perform tasks on non-free operating
systems that are not possible on free ones.

Do you hear yourself? I don't want to be impolite and I do, believe me, appreciate the hard work that you and the other Emacs maintainers selflessly provide to the community but this is beyond silly.

In the first place, Emacs predates Linux by almost two decades and during that time it ran exclusively on what we now call non-free systems so there's no sacred free system purity baked into its DNA. Emacs being free software has traditionally meant that Emacs /itself/ is free and not that running it on a proprietary system made you a second class citizen.

No one is asking you or anyone else to do any extra work. All we ask is you leave what is already in place alone. If you aren't a Mac user, it doesn't hurt you in any way but if you insist on removing it you will (1) make extra work for the maintainers, (2) likely break existing software, and (3) annoy Mac users.

You can say we deserve it for being insufficiently pure but do you really want to alienate your second largest user base? That attitude will not, I promise you, result in anyone abandoning macOS for Linux but it could very well result in disgusted users abandoning Emacs for something like VS Code. I'd hate that and I'm sure you would too.

I'll accept whatever the community decides but I'm having a hard time understanding how this is even controversial.