Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 15:35:47 -0400

Oops. Sorry. I forgot to copy the list.

Jon Snader <jcs@irreal.org> writes:

I think that binary _is_ Apple's proprietary AppleScript
interpreter,
but using it in a subprocess to retrieve only contacts data (which
is
already possible on free systems) must be more acceptable than Emacs
including a C primitive to do the same thing.

Why do you think ns-do-applescript and osascript are just about
getting contact data? Applescript is a terrible language but it can interact with macOS to do just about anything you can do from the keyboard. As I said in my original post, I use it to get the URL of
Safari's current page without having to leave Emacs.

The ns-do-applescript call is (or could be considered) simply a call
to an OS specific interface routine. It's useful for many things
besides getting contacts and its presence in *in the macOS Emacs
build* hurts no one, whereas its removal is sure to cause lots of
inconvenience for Mac users and those writing packages for the
platform.