Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 17:36:18 -0400

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

That rule is specified in the information for maintainers of GNU
software, in the node "Platforms":

The most important platforms for a GNU package to support are GNU and GNU/Linux. Developing the GNU operating system is the whole point of the GNU Project; a GNU package exists to make the whole GNU system more powerful. So please keep that goal in mind and let it shape your work. For instance, every new feature you add should work on GNU, and GNU/Linux if possible too. If a new feature only runs on GNU and GNU/Linux, it could still be acceptable. However, a feature that runs only on other systems and not on GNU or GNU/Linux makes no sense in a
  GNU package.

Anyway, the removal of ns-do-applescript will probably proceed, once I figure out how to replace the code that uses it in-tree (mostly for desktop notifications, which are also available on free systems, and
retrieving contacts data.)

The GNU project was created with the goal of eliminating non-free operating systems. It was once acceptable for Emacs to only run on proprietary operating systems while no alternatives existed, but not
anymore.

For a long time, Apple also claimed the power to stop people from writing programs that looked and worked even vaguely like a Macintosh. During that period, the GNU project had a policy against supporting any
software on the Macintosh.

They have stopped that practice now, but I doubt many people have
forgiven them.

This list isn't a place to discuss that policy, which has been in place
for a long time (nor was it ever subject to approval from a
"community".) Features only present on macOS are discovered and deleted from Emacs on a regular basis. Recent examples are support for color
Emoji and tabbed windows.

This discussion has reached the stage where we have to agree to disagree. That disagreement notwithstanding, I restate my thanks to you for the good work you do for the Emacs community.