Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 18:22:01 -0400

  > The GNU project was created with the goal of eliminating non-free
  > operating systems.  It was once acceptable for Emacs to only run on
  > proprietary operating systems while no alternatives existed, but not
  > anymore.

I think this disagreement is a matter of basic values.

Most software projects start from a desire for success -- many users
and widespread acclaim.  The GNU Project, by contrast, aims to
liberate users from the unjust power that developers impose through
nonfree software.

All else being equal, more success for our software tends to advance
the cause.  It liberates more users, and encourages further
development.  But that is not inevitable -- it depends on what we
would do to achieve the success.  Getting people to use our software
doesn't get all the way there.  Teaching them to value and demand freedom
is what we are really aiming for.