Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Alexander Adolf
Subject: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 14:09:10 +0200

Hello,

this is the author of eudcb-macos-contacts chiming in. I would not have
any objections to a well managed deprecation, and later removal of the
ns-do-applescript elisp API. The semantics of that API, and the
command-line replacement osascript are very similar: provide the script
in a string, feed that to the API or process, and then handle whatever
that returns. I do hence think making the change should be a
straightforward exercise for any package author.

One aspect that has not been touched on in this thread is performance.
Starting an external process will typically be more expensive than
calling a C API, and thus there could be a noticeable performance
penalty for small scripts which are called often. But that's not the
case for eudcb-macos-contacts.

Hoping to have helped,

  --alexander