Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 02:01:37 +0300

On 24/05/2022 17:26 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > Just FTR, AppleScript is used in eudcb-macos-contacts.el, but via
>   > osascript executable.
>
> The comments in that file suggest that this is not a general facility
> to execute AppleScript programs, but rather a way to get data out of a
> MacOS-specific contacts database.
>
> Am I right about that?

Yes.

> Other systems will have other kinds of contacts databases doing the
> same job, and Emacs seems to support them just as well or better.
>
> Am I right about that?

eudcb-macos-contacts is an EUDC backend.  Other backends in Emacs are
mainly eudcb-ldap and eudcb-bbdb, they both work on GNU system (but on
nonfree systems as well), and are more complete than
eudcb-macos-contacts.

> If so, then under the conditions in the node Non-GNU-Only Features of
> the GNU Maintainers Guide, this is a system-specific implementation of
> a feature that is supported equally well on the GNU system, so it is
> ok.

Yes, but the topic was about the C function, ns-do-applescript, not
about eudcb-macos-contacts...

Filipp