Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 23:09:45 -0500

On 25 May 2022, Manuel Giraud wrote:
That, I was not aware of. So then sorting `bookmark-alist' (differently)
might not be an option.

Currently, the order of bookmarks in `bookmark-alist' is the only record of the order in which the bookmarks were created -- and that order is needed for some displayed sorts . Since bookmarks up till now don't have anything like a creation-date element, we should just keep the list in creation order, so that this information is preserved.

I suppose we could in theory do fancier things, like detect when all the bookmarks have a creation date and abandon the need to keep the alist in order then, or make sure that just the subset of `bookmark-alist' that *doesn't* have creation dates is kept in creation order... but there is no need to be fancy. Let's just keep the whole alist in order of creation, even after we add creation-date or other date-ish elements.

Best regards,
-Karl