Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: corfu-doc and corfu-doc-terminal

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: corfu-doc and corfu-doc-terminal
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 10:38:09 -0400

Akib Azmain Turja [2022-05-28 19:15:33] wrote:
> corfu-doc shows a documentation popup for the selected candidate in
> Corfu.  It uses child frame to do this.  The author said that he signed
> and sent the papers but hasn't received any reply,

Looks like there's been some communication mishap, but I see Yuwei Tian
in the FSF's `copyright.list` file, so his copyright paperwork seems to
be in order.

> so this package can't be added to ELPA right now.

I think it can :-)

> corfu-doc-terminal advises corfu-doc to use Popon, so that corfu-doc
> works also on non-graphical (terminal) displays.  As corfu-doc isn't a
> part of Emacs, I can't publish it to ELPA (as it depends on corfu-doc
> and uses some code adapted from corfu-doc).

As Philip said, it's OK for a GNU ELPA package to depend on a NonGNU
ELPA package (it's not our first choice, admittedly, but it's only an
annoyance rather than an obstacle).  BTW, it would be good to develop
some kind of API such that corfu, corfu-doc and others can call a "show
this thing" function and the result is shown either with child-frames or
with `popon` (or with any other replacement such as `popup`, tooltips,
a using a plain old window, ...), without having to rely on advice?

Any chance you could look into that, maybe getting feedback from the
authors of corfu, company, popup, and other related packages?

        Stefan