Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: corfu-doc and corfu-doc-terminal

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: corfu-doc and corfu-doc-terminal
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 18:03:18 -0400

Akib Azmain Turja [2022-05-29 02:27:34] wrote:
>>> example, I asked Corfu's author if it is possible to add corfu-terminal
>>> to Corfu as an extension, but he said no just because of the extra Popon
>>> dependency, which I intentionally extracted out of corfu-terminal to let
>>> others use it)
>>
>> But once the API is available corfu can make use of it without adding
>> a dependency on `popon`.
>
> But that would need Corfu to add a dependency that API,

Most likely it could use this API without depending on it (i.e. use it
if available and fallback on the existing code if not).

> unless that API is a part of Emacs distribution.

That'd be the plan, yes.

> Yeah, it is probably better to spend the effort here

No: even if/when we'll get C-level support for such things in ttys,
there will *still* be a need for an API that lets packages like corfu
stop worrying about whether the output goes to a tty or a GUI.

        Stefan