Re: OKURI-NASI

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: OKURI-NASI
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 15:19:23 +0200

>> Doing some very light profiling here, a lot of the time is taken up by
>> skkdic-get-entry, which is just lookup-nested-alist.
>
> Odd: `skkdic-get-entry` didn't even appear in the profile I got (and
> `lookup-nested-alist` was dwarfed by other things):

It's a defsubst -- I was profiling uncompiled code:

        6278  48%                           - skkdic-breakup-string
        6262  48%                            - let
        6258  48%                             - or
        6242  48%                              - and
        5871  45%                               - let
        5763  44%                                - while
        5735  44%                                 - let
        3995  30%                                  + skkdic-get-entry

>> My guess is that if somebody took a look ja-dic-cnv.el, this algorithm
>> could be made substantially more efficient by using other data
>> structures than an extremely long nested alist.
>
> I believe those (nested) alists shouldn't be that long (IIUC it's
> a trie-like data-structure, a bit like keymaps, so even with many
> entries in total, the total depth of the tree should be fairly short and
> the length of each list (i.e. the out degree of each node) shouldn't be
> very large either).

Hm, right...