Re: OKURI-NASI

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: OKURI-NASI
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 15:08:41 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 13:44:33 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> We need leim-list.el, I think, and leim/Makefile generates both of
> >> those files, so I think if we just decouple those things, then we
> >> move the ja-dic.el compilation later.
> >
> > Does moving it later speed up its compilation considerably?
>
> Yes -- since lisp depends on leim, we're stalling in a single-threaded
> job after finishing bootstrap, but before doing lisp, I think?  So we're
> only using one CPU instead of all of them for 15 seconds.

Why is that job single-threaded?  leim has more than one file to
build, so maybe we should rearrange the Makefile to allow a better
parallelism?  IOW, perhaps the single-threaded job you see is simply
the result of all the other sub-jobs in leim being completed, and this
is the only one that's left.

Or maybe remove ja-dic.el from the 'all:' target in leim/Makefile and
move it to lisp/Makefile, where it will compete for CPU units with
more jobs?