Re: "make autoloads" signals an error

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: "make autoloads" signals an error
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 13:59:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Ideally, it shouldn't modify the source tree, but:
>
>   . if you build a release tarball, the *.elc files are already there
>     in the source tree;
>   . the *.elc files are platform-independent, so there shouldn't be a
>     need to regenerate them for every build;

Yes, that's a very good point.

>   . if you put the *.elc files in the build tree, you need to adjust
>     load-path, since some of the files (the ones we don't
>     byte-compile) will be in the source tree, and others in the build
>     tree

Hm, yes.  But...  would just prepending the build/lisp/* directories to
load-path fix that issue?  I.e., use the .elc files from build/lisp and
fall back on lisp-directory otherwise?

> So the reason(s) to make changes here are weak enough for us to punt ;-)

Yeah, I guess there isn't really much to be gained except a certain
sense of purity.  Or...  well, users would then not have to remember to
do a "make extraclean" or whatever to do a completely fresh build --
they'd just have to nuke the build directory and create a new one.
Perhaps it might be worth offering that as an option?  But perhaps not
worth the work involved.