Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 13:29:28 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> So the choice of format is natural for package authors.  And they
> frequently contain markup like headings, bullet lists, bold, italics,
> and code snippets which simply look much better than their text-only
> alternative (even in their editing/non-rendered versions).

I think most of the hostility non-Org users have towards Org files is
the experience of opening one, only seeing a couple of lines with "..."
after them and then going "AAARGH", killing the buffer, and using
`find-file-literally' on it.

But Org files are totally innocuous if you say `M-x org-show-subtree'.
package.el could totally use org files instead of text files for the
readmes if it ran `org-show-subtree' when displaying the Org readmes --
most people wouldn't even notice that they were reading an Org file
(beyond the nice fontification).