Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 14:24:57 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Jun 05, 2022 at 09:39:13 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen [2022-06-05 13:29:28] wrote:
> > Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:
> >> So the choice of format is natural for package authors.  And they
> >> frequently contain markup like headings, bullet lists, bold, italics,
> >> and code snippets which simply look much better than their text-only
> >> alternative (even in their editing/non-rendered versions).
> > I think most of the hostility non-Org users have towards Org files is
> > the experience of opening one, only seeing a couple of lines with "..."
> > after them and then going "AAARGH", killing the buffer, and using
> > `find-file-literally' on it.

> There's also the annoying delay, of course (as in "oh, so it takes
> a long time to load in order to then mess it up!?")

> We should take these as challenges to improve org-mode rather than as
> reasons to stay away from it.

We should not inflict org mode on random Emacs users, e.g. by making it
necessary in order to use *Help* fully.

Org mode is a complicated, difficult to learn package which cannot be to
everybody's taste.  To see just how complicated and difficult to learn
it is, have a look at the Key index in org.info.  There are 784 entries
in that Key index.  That is surely more key bindings than I know and use
in total.  A massive number of these are bindings which don't start with
C-c C-<letter>.  Many of these will most assuredly clash with other
bindings users have set up.

Don't get me wrong, I've no objection to people liking and using a
package like org mode.  Where I draw the line is when I am myself forced
to use it as part of accessing some unrelated feature.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).