Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 20:51:35 +0800

>> I've heard about the problem with loading multiple times and I do agree
>> that loading can be slow, especially when various kinds of extra
>> functionality is requested. However, I am wondering about the actual
>> numbers.  How long is long?
>
> I think it's fairly hard to quantify accurately: last time I tried to
> benchmark it, the numbers (around 1s) were much lower than what I was
> experiencing subjectively (I'd estimate 5s or more).  So, AFAICT, the
> time to load Org mode is strongly affected by the size of the running
> session or maybe by the presence of various third party packages, which
> means benchmarking
>
>     emacs --batch  --eval '(require `org)'
>
> doesn't give a representative picture of the problem.

I suspect that garbage collection is strongly affecting your loading
times. It is taking half of the time even with clean Emacs. I imagine
that GC sweeps are even more costly when you have a sizable allocated
memory.

mapconcats over all the links types with O(N_links^2) strings being
allocated. I took a note of this. I am sure that memory usage can be
improved on loading.

Best,
Ihor