Re: How to disable warnings about single quotes in emacs-29

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: How to disable warnings about single quotes in emacs-29
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 20:39:18 +0800

> It's not warning about style errors -- doc strings are written in a
> markup language, and it's warning about errors in that markup language.
> Putting "For instance, (setq foo 'bar)" in a doc string is wrong -- the
> doc string displayed in *Help* will be syntactically wrong.

But the byte compiler compiles Emacs Lisp, not doc strings.  I think we
should move everything related to doc string markup into checkdoc, and
then resolve the TODO about integrating that with the byte compiler,
perhaps by adding a new warning type `checkdoc' for warnings from
checkdoc.

> (And we use the byte compiler to report about a bunch of stylistic
> problems, like the usage of save-excursion+set-buffer.)

Those stylistic problems affect Lisp, not help buffers.