Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 19:02:34 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  luangruo@yahoo.com,
>   michael.albinus@gmx.de,  acm@muc.de,  stefan@marxist.se,  tsdh@gnu.org,
>   akib@disroot.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 10:43:44 -0400
>
> w.r.t spending time in the GC, since the GC is run based on the amount
> of memory that has been allocated (as opposed to the amount of garbage
> generated, for example. which we sadly can't know in advance), the "mem"
> profiler (aka `M-x profilter-start RET mem RET`) can be very useful
> since it does a sampling-based profiling where the "time" is measured in
> number of byte allocated (or some approximation thereof).

Did you actually try this, and could indeed deduce where most of the
garbage is produced?

The problem with your idea, IME, is that Emacs calls memory-allocation
functions from code that has nothing to do with consing Lisp objects,
and it does that _a_lot_.  So given a "memory" profile it is not very
easy to see which of the parts are related to GC, and many times the
hot spots aren't.

But it doesn't hurt to try what you suggest, maybe we'd get a lucky
break in this case.