Re: [SOLVED (magic?)]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [SOLVED (magic?)]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 10:43:22 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 18:29:39 -0400
>
>   > You are reproducing the content [sic] industry's worst lies without
> knowing
>   > it. Intellectual property [sic] is intellectual poverty :)
>
> It's much worse than that!  "Intellectual property" is a confused
> overgeneralization -- it misrepresents reality and spreads confusion,
> by lumping together laws that we should rigorously treat as separate
> and unrelated.
>
> Please see https://gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html and join me in
> rejecting that term.

That article talks about "intellectual property" in relation to laws
that (allegedly) govern it.  While "intellectual property" is many
times abused by establishments with some vested interests, the term
also has a meaning which has nothing to do with laws, copyright,
trademarks, patents and the like: when it is used to refer to ideas
that constitute trade secrets of some organization, which uses these
ideas and secrets to get a competitive edge in its products and
business transactions.  There's (AFAIK; IANAL) no laws covering this,
but companies will generally guard those secrets very closely and
refrain from disclosing them, definitely not to their competitors.

P.S. This discussion doesn't really belong to emacs-devel.