Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README whi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 09:02:38 +0300

> From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, acm@muc.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 11:39:07 +1000
>
> The other side of th coin is the on-going development of texinfo. I have
> not written enough texinfo to really understand what the issues are
> which drive the desire to replace it with something else, such as org. I
> know there are some criticisms regarding output formats, but I also know
> there is on-going work to improve that situation. Is the right strategy
> to work on org mode so that it can replace texinfo or work on texinfo to
> address limitations (or both?)?

The main problem with Texinfo that I'm aware of is its reliance on TeX
for the printed output formats (PDF, PS, etc.).  Many restrictions in
Texinfo come from the fact that something is impossible to implement
in TeX.

Another issue that frequently comes up is the HTML format it produces:
it currently doesn't support many features expected from good on-line
documentation, such as multiple frames etc.

A better place to discuss the shortcomings of Texinfo is on the
Texinfo mailing list, where we can talk to the few people who are
actively developing Texinfo and aware of the main issues.