RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while insta

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 21:58:44 +0000

> I did not. I speak of understanding of package descriptions. When user
> clicks on a package within Emacs that user expects package
> description, not a markup.

Dunno (I'm not really following this thread), but
maybe this example is relevant in discussing the
difference in effect between viewing/reading really
_plain_ plain-text and viewing/reading plain-text
that has some mark-up, labels, instructions, or
whatever you might call it mixed in with the text:

Consider the difference between viewing/reading a
Commentary section in a Lisp file and viewing/reading
it in the buffer that `M-x finder-commentary' creates.

This difference is about as minimal as you can get.
And yet `finder-commentary' is useful, just to give
you a friendlier, simpler, more searchable, and more
readable presentation.

All that command does is show you a buffer with just
the Commentary text - no code, comment chars removed,
etc., and with the `...'-quoted names of known
libraries converted to links to those libraries.

It's very rudimentary, but it shows well the benefit
of removing even just a few, slight distractions to
give users a really _plain_ plain-text description,
in the interest of reading it as doc.