Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:49:07 +0530

>> This is not needed for the emacs-28 branch,
>> so I meant master.
>
> I am not too familiar with how Emacs handles
> Org updates. AFAIK, Emacs master only tracks
> our stable tagged releases. Not the working
> branches (both bugfix and main). I do not
> know the motivation behind it and I do not
> know if it is a good idea to change it. Do
> you think that Emacs master should instead
> track our Org dev branch?

Emacs master is the development branch of
Emacs. I have always wanted Org dev branch to
be part of that. But may be that Org’s dev
branch is not as stable as Emacs’. Hence it is
kept that way.

I have complained about this branch confusion
once on the emacs-devel mailing list. Only to
learn that there is a separate mailing list for
org development related things.

Even for reporting bugs there was a different
mailing list for Org. I am not sure what is the
situation now. I use whichever version comes
with master branch of Emacs. And I report bugs
using ‘M-x report-emacs-bug’ only.