Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 19:39:47 +0300

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>,  silent2600@gmail.com,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 16:34:21 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> I think it's the new optional argument to narrow-to-region, which adds an
> >> argument to the narrow-to-region opcode in byte-compiled code.
> >
> > If that's the reason, why didn't it affect more files?
> > narrow-to-region is called in much more places.
> >
> > And if it's indeed due to narrow-to-region, we may have a problem: it
> > means old bytecode will not work with Emacs 29 and later.
>
> Should the functionality be moved out into a separate command
> (e.g. `narrow-to-region-lock')?

It isn't a command.

Anyway, please hold your horses.  Mattias, can you please look into
this?  If indeed the change in narrow-to-region caused the problem,
can we make the change in a way that doesn't break backward
compatibility of the byte code, or is that impossible with primitives
that have their own operation bytecode?