Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: emacs master + org Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 18:06:50 +0000

Frankly I'd recommend that the whole change be reverted because it performs unbalanced specbinds which we expect functions not to do. I don't think it can be salvaged in its current form; better back it out and let the author submit a new proposal for how to handle the problem.

Gregory, we don't really need to be able to make such "locked" narrowing from Lisp, do we?

We don't, indeed, at least not now.

If we don't, my suggestion is to make a 3-arg C function whose guts is the current code of Fnarrow_to_region, and then have Fnarrow_to_region call that with the last argument nil. Then the changes in the byte compiler, byte-interpreter, and native-compiler can be reverted.

I'll do that. But that wouldn't solve the "unbalanced specbinds" Mattias mentions. Is it not allowed to specbind in a function and to unbind in its caller? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I may be missing something.