Re: CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration 2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration 2
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 19:59:36 +0300

> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:36:04 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > We are not talking about my personal customizations, we are talking
> > about what CC Mode does by default.  If we'd changed the default to be
> > level 2 for CC Mode, I could understand your line of reasoning.  But
> > since you don't think this should be the default, I say what CC Mode
> > does at level 2 is not of practical importance for making CC Mode fast
> > enough.
>
> Fast enough for what?

Fast enough for editing free of annoying delays and sluggishness.

> CC Mode at level 3 is fast enough for many, probably most, users.

I don't think so.  How am I different from other users?  If you think
I always use an unoptimized build, you are wrong: my production
sessions run fully optimized builds, and CC Mode still feels sluggish,
perhaps because I unconsciously compare it with other major mode (like
ELisp).

> Over the years there've been fewer complaints about speed than
> correctness, and most of these have been in connection with unusual
> files.  There's never any objection to more speed, but for those who
> really want instantaneous response, there is level 2, or even level
> 1, and beyond that, fundamental-mode.

What you describe is factually incorrect, but I don't want to argue
about whether we did or didn't have complaints.  I'm complaining now
(and did so a few months ago, but maybe you forgot).

> I do assume that you use level 2 when you're a user (as distinct
> from the maintainer).  Am I right?

No, you are wrong.  I use the default all the time.  And since you
didn't really describe the effect of going down to level 2, I cannot
even begin thinking whether using level 2 is worth considering for my
purposes.