Re: Why tree-sitter instead of Semantic? (was Re: CC Mode with font-lock

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Why tree-sitter instead of Semantic? (was Re: CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration 2)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 21:06:48 +0200

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 10:00:43PM +0600, Akib Azmain Turja wrote:

[...]

> It's hard for any compiled language to beat C code, and I believe it's
> *impossible* for any interpreted language to do that.  And if it somehow
> does that, I would believe that the result is *hard-coded* in it.

[...]

I think this is too simplistic. There are known (small) cases where
(compiled) Common Lisp beats C code, or where LuaJit [1] does (don't
forget: a JIT knows things about your program a compiler can't). At
the other end of the scale (the very complex), where you end up
writing a whole garbage collector in your C app, it will be pretty
hard to beat one of the modern GCs you'll find in Schemes or
Javascripts.

So the answer to this is most probably "it depends" :)

Cheers

[1]
https://wingolog.org/archives/2014/09/02/high-performance-packet-filtering-with-pflua