Re: --with-native-compilation build failure on 32-bit systems

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: --with-native-compilation build failure on 32-bit systems
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 09:06:14 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, jrm@ftfl.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org, emacs@FreeBSD.org
>> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 07:59:22 +0000
>>
>> > Thanks, but why does this only affect 32-bit builds?
>>
>> That's a good question, I guess for some reason we overflowed only on
>> the 32-bit builds?
>
> That's unlikely to happen, AFAIU.  It's more likely to be the other
> way around: the 64-bit builds overflow sooner, due to wider data
> types.

That's correct, but is not that simple. I see also pure_size depends on
many factors. Ex: I've it as 2000000 on the 32bit build and 3333333 on
the 64bit.

What I see comparing the two builds (my testbed is ATM on aff5961274) is
that we overflow on both, but on the 64bit we do it a little later in
the execution so the GC has the chance to collect ediff-hook before we
overflow purespace.

I pushed the fix for the nativecomp side to master as we understood the
mechanism needed improvement.

I let maintainers choose for the purespace overflow warning one.

Thanks!

  Andrea