Re: --with-native-compilation build failure on 32-bit systems

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: --with-native-compilation build failure on 32-bit systems
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 09:57:32 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, jrm@ftfl.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org, emacs@FreeBSD.org
>> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 09:06:14 +0000
>>
>> What I see comparing the two builds (my testbed is ATM on aff5961274) is
>> that we overflow on both, but on the 64bit we do it a little later in
>> the execution so the GC has the chance to collect ediff-hook before we
>> overflow purespace.
>
> That's strange, because I just built the unexec build on a 64-bit
> system, and it didn't overflow for me.
>
> Does it overflow on your system during bootstrap, i.e. when it loads
> all the Lisp packages in source form?  Or does it overflow when it
> loads the *.elc byte-compiled files?  Or is this a native-comp build,
> and it overflows when loading the *.eln files?

Mine is a build with native compilation, there are many variables into
play and indeed native compilation might be one of the main responsible
for the higher use the purespace here.

It does overflow during bootstrap after having loaded the eln files.

> Or did you discover
> the overflow via some method that is nor part of the standard build?

That's a regular make bootstrap configured with '--without-x
--with-native-compilation'.

Bests

  Andrea