RE: [External] : Re: master f117b5df4d: Add new functions eol and bol

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master f117b5df4d: Add new functions eol and bol
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:24:24 +0000

> How about position-at-bol or pos-at-bol?
>
> (IMO, it's confusing to talk about "point at SOMEWHERE" because that's
> not how we use the term "point", except in the context of describing
> point's position.)

<nitpick>

+1. `position-at-...' makes sense, and
`point-at...' does not.

Point is the _current_ cursor position in some
buffer.  And window point is the cursor position
for the buffer displayed in some window.

The names `point-min|max' are legacy.  No need
to change them to `position-min|max'.  But they
shouldn't be used as a precedent for starting
to name position variables and functions with
"point" instead of "position" (or "pos").
___

(Separate point (!), but related: we shouldn't
talk about the "position of point".  Point _is_
a position - the position of the cursor.

E.g., +1 for Eli's point (!) here, but not for
speaking of "point's position", which just means
the _position of the position_ of the cursor.)

</nitpick>