Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:11:08 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

[Problems with Gtk snipped -- I agree that all of those things are bad.]

> I think the reason users use the GTK build despite those problems is
> because it is the default, and they don't know any better.

Most users don't choose the toolkits -- they use whatever the
distribution has configured.  And since most of those use a variation on
Gnome Shell, it's natural for the distributions to use the Gtk toolkit
for Emacs.

But, yes, most people who build Emacs themselves end up using the Gtk
toolkit for two reasons: It's the default, and the no-toolkit one is
ugly and unusable (both in actuality and as a UX preference for most
normal people).

>> But without the 1-5) I outlined, I don't think there's any chance
>> what-so-ever.
>
> Were they fine with the Lucid build before the GTK build became the
> default?

Did the distributions exist before Gtk?

I haven't tried the Lucid build in a while, and it fixes the menu
scaling (and font) issues.  Otherwise, it has all the same problems that
the no-toolkit version has.