Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 10:15:14 +0300

> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:52:05 +0200
>
> I can't find a way to tweak glyphless-char-display-control to let TTY
> frames show diamonds again…  maybe a new value display method would be
> needed for that purpose?

The diamond is a non-ASCII character, so to display it by default,
we'd need to make sure the terminal is capable of displaying it.

Also, do you really mean diamond, or do you mean U+FFFD REPLACEMENT
CHARACTER (which on GUI display is shown as a diamond with a question
mark inside)?

And why the diamond, of all the possible characters? why not simply
'?', for example?

(FWIW, providing such an option makes very little sense to me, for the
reasons I explained in my previous message.  But if people insist, and
if we can find a good and safe replacement character to show instead
of the hex code, I won't object adding such an option.)