Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 10:52:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The diamond is a non-ASCII character, so to display it by
> default, we'd need to make sure the terminal is capable of
> displaying it [...] Also, do you really mean diamond, or do
> you mean U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER

I think "diamond" simply was a description how the char
looked. But U+FFFD also looks like a diamond so if you think
that's what it is, that sounds reasonable given its
name, right?

In a Linux VT running an Emacs instance, insert this char with

  (insert-char ?\ufffd)

In a Linux VT just running zsh (also tested with bash; works),
do

  $ printf -v rc %04x 0xfffd
  $ printf "\u${rc}\n"

--