Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:53:55 +0000

All these reservations surely need to go into your entry in the PROBLEMS file. People run Emacs as root, e.g. for editing configuration files. Do we really expect users to be able to flip setuid bits, or remove SYS_TTY_CONFIG capability? Myself, I don't even know what the second of these means, though I will examine the thread to try and find out.

I'll add all these details in the FAQ entry.

OK. There remains the mystery of why M-: (tty-type) returns "linux" on your system, but "fbterm" on mine.

I guess you're using some modified version of fbterm, some distros provide patched versions of the programs they distribute.